Newsletter January 1st, 2017
29 Dec 2016
- Classes are Beginning
Wishing all of our customers & staff the very happiest of New Years. Looking forward to fantastic knitting in 2017
Classes are Beginning!
Our Winter/Spring 2017 class list has been set. There will be learn to knit/crochet as well as mitten & sock sessions. A large part of the classes this year will be singles for specific techniques. There should be something for everyone! Please call in to the store to register & check for supplies and pre-class homework that might need to be completed.
- Classes MUST be registered and paid for by the Friday prior to the start date; (ie - if the class begins on Thursday 26th January, then payment must be made by Friday January 20th). Instructor will not be attending if no one is registered.
- Materials need to be obtained before class date. Please take the time to ensure that you have all required materials before attending the first class.
- Some classes require homework to be completed before the first class; this must be done by all participants
all classes will be offered on Thursdays. There will be an afternoon session 2-3pm or 3-4pm and evenings 6:30pm or 7:30pm. Please check carefully for your time.
- Jan 26 Learn to Knit - Mitten class 1(of 2)-Warmest Mitten
- Feb 1 Learn to crochet - Sock class 1(of 4)- Deb’s super simple DK socks
- Feb 8 Tech Class: Buttonholes - Mittens class 2
- Feb 15 Tech Class: Increases - Sock class 2
- Feb 22 Tech Class: Cast-ons - Sock class 3
- Mar 1 Tech Class: Cast-offs - Sock class 4
- Mar 8 Tech Class: short rows - Tech Class: knitting in the round
- Mar 15 Tech class: Cast-ons provisional & Judy’s magic -Tech class: Beginner lace
- Mar 22 Tech class: Cast-on - Tubular - Tech class: Beginner cables & bobbles
- Mar 29 Tech class: Sock heel - short row - Tech class: Intermediate Lace
- Apr 5 Tech Class: Sock heel - eye of partridge - Tech Class: Entrelac - dishcloth (must know how to knit & purl)
- Apr 12 Tech Class: Sock Heel - 2 at a time - Tech Class: Stranded knitting-2 hands (must know how to knit in the round)
Please refer to the website “Classes” section for specific times
Project of the Month:
104-18 Jacket knit in different directions
by Drops Design
Here is a cozy cardigan to knit in a chunky weight yarn. Sleeves & yoke are worked sideways and then bottom edge is picked up to create the lower portion. Our suggestion is KFI’s Chromatic Chunky. Worked on 7.0mm needles it will be a quick knit and keep you warm for the rest of the winter. All yarns required to make this project are 15% off. Pattern is free with purchase of yarns.
NEW YARNS !!
Ombre gradient sets from Katia - sport weight
- soft soft soft! 100% Extra Fine Merino wool $39.95 for the set of 6 (92yds each colour)
King Cole Riot - DK
- 30% Wool, 70% Premium Acrylic with a long colour change $14.40 / 100g, 324yds
Universal’s Bamboo Bloom. A fabulous chunky weight “thick-thin” yarn that makes fantastic hats, scarves & cows.
- 48% Rayon(from bamboo), 44% wool, 8% acrylic $16.00 /100g, 154yds
We are changing up the Knit-A-Longs this Winter/Spring season. Knit-A-Long classes will be offered on Tuesday afternoons 1-3pm and Wednesday evenings 6:30pm-8:30pm.
- a dedicated instructor is available to assist you with your on-going KAL project
- classes are free
- advance sign-up and materials purchase is required
- all materials and patterns for KALs are to be purchased through Wool & Silk Co.
Back East Wrap KAL - begins Jan 17 & 18th
The Back East Wrap is a gorgeous asymmetrical triangular shawl worked in two sections. First the center triangular portion is worked from side to side. Stitches are picked up along the edge and combined with the live side stitches to add on a wide border in a top down triangular fashion. This interesting construction allows for the stripes and texture motifs to be worked in different directions, creating a visually appealing, large and cozy wrap to keep you warm through those chilly months.
2 skeins of each of 2 colours of Ultra Alpaca (4 skeins total) 5.0mm x 80cm circular needle
3 classes to complete this project
Jan 17(aft) or 18(evening)
Feb 14(aft) or 15(evening)
Mar 14(aft) or 15(evening)
Cozy Cardi KAL - begins Jan 24 & 25th
What a sweet little hooded cardi is this? Knitted in Univeral yarns Major or James C. Brett’s Marble Chunky. Tons of colours to choose from. You can create in sizes anywhere from 3-6mons up to 5-6yrs.
1 ball Universal Major (for sizes up to 24 mons) or 2 balls (for the 3-4 & 5-6yrs sizes) 6.0mm x 80cm circular needle
3 classes to complete this project
Jan 24(aft) or 25(evening)
Feb 21(aft) or 22(evening)
Mar 21(aft) or 22(evening)
A Sock & A Sock!
Petty Harbour by Rayna Curtis – free pattern on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/petty-harbour
Winter Socks for the Family by SheepyShenanigans - free pattern available on Ravelry at: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/winter-socks-for-the-family
Sit & Knit
Just a note to knitters/crocheters who are new to us. We have wonderful Sit & Knit groups on Wed 1-3pm & 6:30-8:30pm, Sat 1-3pm. Bring your project (or purchase some new yarn!) and work on it while enjoying friends, coffee and a nibble of something good! ($6.00 HST included)Return to News Items